Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Modernism Week Palm Springs: Rewind and Fast Forward!

I can't believe Modernism Week has already arrived here in Palm Springs!

Every year, Palm Springs Life Magazine puts out it's Modernism Issue. Myself and the rest of "Bill's Broads" (that's what I call the girls that model for my friend Bill Miller) got our picture in that issue. Since the digital copy I have is such crappy quality (because I opted to take a photo with my iPhone rather than scan it), I will share the good pics that were out and about on the Palm Springs Life website, as well as on the Modernism Week blog, and various places around the internet… since I wasn't actively blogging back then.
I should note that the photo in the Modernism Issue is from FALL Modernism Week, that happened in October 2013. It's just a baby MW, only lasting a weekend, rather than 10 days like the one that's about to occur this week. Okay, feast your eyes:


Help, there's a Brad Pitt on my shoulder!


The kick-off party was held at my friend Bill Nicholson's store, Design 849. My friend Travis Smith of Modern Bear and Bill Miller collaborated with me on the window design. 
The event was called Suddenly 1954 in honor of the William Cody-designed building that was erected in 1954.


Here's Travis and Bill Nicholson.



Ah, yes. Bill's Broads. Bill Miller. Not Nicholson.


Jewelry and accessories by Matt Burkholz


Finale on the runway


Hey, it's me! 


Yes, that is the Design Wolf Chris Bale next to me. 



Source: Modernism Week website.

Here's the dress I was wearing.


I also schlepped my wares (aka excess clutter) at the Modernism Yard Sale!
I had some Heywood Wakefield pieces, A Knoll office chair from 1962, A really cool Sciolari chandelier, Verner Panton Flowerpot pendant lamps, and this stuff: 





The King of Kitsch, Charles Phoenix was shopping with us!

= = = 

Thursday, February 13 is the 2014 Modernism Week opening night. 
The opening cocktail party, Modern Mambo! is already sold out… but ticket holders can join me while I help host the event, which starts at 8pm at the historic Caliente Tropics hotel. The Caliente Tropics (nee Tropics Hotel) was built in 1964 and was home to the Congo Room and The Cellar. 

Check out these great vintage photos that I nicked from Pete Moruzzi's blog, HERE. You can see additional photos there, and he elaborates a bit more on the place. 


Unfortunately the place has changed quite drastically… but it still retains a cool 1960s vibe.
Also on the 13th is Illuminated Modern, a very cool, FREE self-guided tour of the historic buildings of Palm Canyon Drive. Noteworthy buildings will be illuminated with not only color, but the name of the architect that designed the building, as well as the year of construction. More info HERE.


Stay tuned to my blog for more on Modernism Week: Not only will I be announcing certain events in which I am involved with, but I will also be posting photos along the way!
Make sure to visit their website if you plan on coming out. There are plenty of free events, as well as tickets for select lectures and films still available!


xoxo,
Tayva

No comments: